Uganda’s ministry of health has confirmed on Wednesday, 12 June 2019, an Ebola outbreak in Kasese District, which has reportedly resulted in one fatality.
Three cases of Ebola have been confirmed so far, among them a five-year-old boy who died on Tuesday, 11 June 2019, after he had been admitted and isolated at Bwera Hospital Ebola Treatment Unit.
He was with five other family members who crossed over from Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) into Uganda on Monday night, 10 June 2019.
This morning, 12 June 2019, the ministry confirmed two more cases, including a 50-year-old grandmother and brother to the five-year-old deceased.
“So far we have three confirmed cases here in the Ebola Treatment Unit (Bwera Hospital). The five-year-old who tested positive first, who passed away at 9.30pm last night; right now, his grandmother and his three-year-old younger brother have also tested positive. This brings us to a total of three confirmed cases” Dr Aceng Ruth Jane, Minister of Health, said.
According to the ministry of health, eight contacts with the Ebola cases have been line listed and are currently being followed up.
Dr Aceng says to contain the Ebola outbreak, the government of Uganda, working with partners like the World Health Organisation (WHO), are in Kasese District to assess and evaluate the situation on ground.
She says Rapid Response teams are undertaking contact tracing, case management including safe and dignified burial, surveillance, risk communication and psychosocial support.
The ministry of health and WHO will also undertake ring vaccination of contacts to the case and other non-vaccinated frontline health and other workers, beginning Friday 14 June 2019.
The outbreak comes at a time Uganda’s neighbour, DRC, is battling an Ebola outbreak that has been on since August 2018.
Ebola, a haemorrhagic fever is a highly infectious virus that causes fever, body aches, and diarrhoea, and sometimes bleeding inside and outside the body.