Connect with us

News

South African Justice Minister condemns Durban Court Shooting

Published on

The shooting which took place at the O regional court room at Durban Magistrates Court on Monday, 26 November 2018, claimed the lives of two people and left one critically injured.

The Minister of Justice, Michael Masutha, has condemned the shooting at Durban Magistrate’s court which left two people dead and one injured on the morning of Monday, 26 November 2018.

According to EWN, Masutha has also promised to meet with Minister of Police, Bheki Cele, to discuss the issue. The man responsible for the shooting is a police officer. The court was on lockdown on Monday morning after the shooter managed to pass through a security check at the front desk.

The ministry confirmed an investigation had been launched into how the security breach was possible as it does not reflect the situation at other South African courts. “It really is an isolated incident [and] it’s not the norm, our court facilities remain safe,” Mukoni Ratshitanga, Masutha’s spokesperson told EWN.

Crisis Medical spokesperson, Kyle van Reenen, said the man entered the O regional court with a gun, and shot and killed two people before attempting to shoot himself. “The male and female victims were found to have suffered fatal gunshot wounds and were declared deceased on arrival, while the man remains in a critical condition,” van Reenen said.

It later emerged that the man was in divorce court and that the victims were his wife and brother-in-law. Police are still investigating the scene of the crime.

Xiletelo Mabasa
[email protected]

Loading...

Personal Finance

error: Copyrighted Content