Mozambique’s National Migration Service (SENAMI) says it expects 803,900 tourists will visit the country during the festive season compared to 730,828 during the same period last year.
SENAMI spokesperson Celestino Matsinhe made the announcement on Friday, 14 December 2018, in Ressano Garcia, Maputo province, on the sidelines of the launch of an operation code-named “Operation Bwerane” or “Operation Welcome” which seeks to ordinate activities on the country’s borders.
The operation involves the police, customs, transport and Immigration officials and has been established to meet the demand that characterizes the period.
Under the exercise, border posts will have extended opening hours.
“The crossing point of Ressano Garcia starts operating 24 hours from Friday while the crossing point at Ponta D’Ouro between Mozambique and South Africa will operate from 06h00 to 18h00 hours and the crossing points of Zobwe and Calome in Tete will also operate from 06h00 to 18h00 hours to cater for neighbouring Malawi and Zambia,” Matsinhe said.
According to the SENAMI official, crossing points with more traffic volumes will be strengthened in terms of personnel and other resources.
“In order to allow passenger services to be safe, SENAMI appeals to all travellers so that when they arrive at the crossing points they go to the migration officers and avoid using intermediaries,” he said.
The border at Ressano Garcia in Maputo Province between Mozambique an South Africa normally registers the greatest traffic during the festive period, expecting this year some 500,000 travellers, against 300,000 last year, a rise of 67 percent.