Connect with us

Africa

Rwandan genocide suspects named

Published on

Names of three Rwandan nationals arrested earlier last week in Belgium for their alleged roles in the genocide against the Tutsis in 1994 have been made public by judicial authorities in Brussels.

This is according to reports on Sunday, 4 October 2020. The decision to reveal their identities was reached after considering whether the disclosure is in the public’s best interest, authorities said. The three alleged fugitives arrested separately in Belgium were indicted for genocide and extermination, according to Rwanda’s National Public Prosecution Authority (NPPA).

The three are; Pierre Basabose, Séraphin Twahirwa and Christophe Ndangali.

Judicial reports indicate that Basabose was indicted in June 2015 for the crimes of genocide and extermination. He is a former soldier of the defeated Rwandan Armed Forces (ex-FAR), who had quit the military to venture into business. He owned a foreign exchange bureau in Kigali.

He is, according to prosecution, known to have distributed guns and money to Interahamwe militia so they could kill the Tutsi in the suburbs of Gatenga and Gikondo in Kigali.

Twahirwa, on the other hand, worked in the Ministry of Public Works (Minitrape), which is the current infrastructure ministry.  He was indicted in June 2014, according to information from prosecution, for genocide, conspiracy and extermination. He formed an Interahamwe millitia group that called itself Operation CDR Suicide Kimya, which comprised 600 murderers who killed the Tutsi in Karambo/Gatenga and in Gikondo, a suburb of Kigali.

The prosecution also says he worked in the Interahamwe headquarters.

Ngangali worked in the Ministry of Primary and Secondary Education (Mineprisec). He was indicted in November 2012 for genocide, conspiracy and extermination. According to prosecution, he was in charge of patrolling and inspecting roadblocks in the Kacyiru and Giticyinyoni areas of Kigali.

Last December, a Belgian court sentenced genocide suspect, Fabien Neretse, a 71-year-old, to 25 years in jail after being found guilty of genocide, murder, war crimes and crimes against humanity. This was not the first genocide trial in Belgium, but it was the first time that criminal prosecution and conviction was based on a law punishing genocide, introduced there in 2017.

Neretse’s trial was the fifth held in Brussels in connection with the 1994 genocide.

-APA

Copyright © 2021 Political Analysis South Africa

error: Copyrighted Content