Prasa has suspended three security guards, including the head of security, in the Western Cape in connection with the torching of two trains on Sunday, 21 April 2019.
The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa (Prasa) has announced on Friday, 26 April 2019, the suspension of its head of security in the Western Cape, Ernest Hendricks, as well as two security officers following the torching of two trains at Cape Town station on Sunday.
Prasa said the security company, Isilo, had been served with a notice of intention to suspend it from providing security services at Cape Town train station. In a statement, Prasa chief executive officer Nkosinathi Sishi has given Isilo five days to provide reasons as to why its services should not be suspended.
“The suspension of Mr Ernest Hendricks and the other two officers is not meant to pass judgement or put blame on them but is solely meant to allow the investigation to be carried out by an independent body.
“This is a commitment we have made and any lapse of security that compromises the safety and security of our rail system and that of commuters will not be tolerated and people found to have compromised security will be held accountable,” said Sishi.
Prasa’s group chief strategy officer, Sipho Sithole, said the investigation into the incident would be carried out by an independent body.
“We have a security company deployed at Cape Town train station, so we do not expect any security lapse or any compromising of our safety and security interventions when we have not only our security officials that are employed by Prasa, but also the external service providers that are deployed and appointed by Prasa,” Sithole said.