Rape accused, Tim Omotoso’s bid to have the judge recused from his case was dismissed by the Supreme Court of Appeal on Tuesday, 11 December 2018.
The regional spokesperson for the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), Tsepo Ndwalaza told SABC News on Tuesday, 11 December 2018, that rape accused Tim Omotoso’s application to have the judge recused was unnecessary.
“There was no need for them (Omotoso’s legal team) to do that, but it is their right legally to do it,” Ndwalaza told the national broadcaster. “We were not worried about it because we had a strong feeling that ‘this is just a waste of time.”
Ndwalaza told an SABC reporter that they are prepared to get back into court. “We feel vindicated and we are ready to rumble,” the NPA’s regional spokesperson said. Ndwalaza said the Supreme Court of Appeal dismissed the application because it was very unlikely to be successful.
Omotoso’s legal team believed that the presiding judge in the case, Mandela Makaula, had shown bias towards the first witness Cheryl Zondi.
Last Week, Zondi launched an NGO called the Cheryl Zondi Foundation to offer legal assistance to women and children who had been sexually assaulted within the institution of the church.
Zondi testified against Omotoso earlier this year and Judge Makaula challenged Omotoso’s lawyer’s insensitive approach to cross examining Zondi.
Omotoso is facing charges of rape, sexual assault, racketeering and human trafficking.