Connect with us


Nedbank Cup Results: Recapping the Round of 32 – Sunday’s Games

Nedbank Cup Results: Recapping the Round of 32 – Sunday's Games

On Sunday, 11 February Mariveni United played host to EC Bees at Pietersburg Stadium (the Old Peter Mokaba Stadium) in Polokwane. EC Bees dominated the entire game, and scored their first goal in the 33rd minute through Themba Dlamini, and another, one minute past the first half, through Sipho-Sihle Mtule (who was also crowned man of the match). Mtule scored another goal, a penalty, in the 59th minute. Mariveni United’s only goal came from a penalty in the 69th minute, striker Reliance Mayimele, easily putting one past EC Bees goalkeeper, Kanana. In the end, an easy 3-1 victory for the King Williams Town side, EC Bees.

Also on Sunday, the Happy Wanderers played Royal Eagles at Sugar Ray Xulu Stadium in Clermont, Durban. Though Royal Eagles won the game 1-0, it was an uninspiring game by all accounts. The only goal of the match came from Senagalese striker, Mame Niang, in the 14th minute. Nevertheless, Royal Eagles proceed to the last 16 of the Nedbank Cup, but is evident that they will need to up the ante if they are to make any impact in the next round.


We also had a top-tier clash on Sunday; Bloem Celtic was at home against SuperSport United. At the end of the official 90 minutes, and extra time, the teams were tied at 1 goal each – Ndumiso Mabena scored for Bloem Celtic in the 36th minute, and Sipho Mbule equalized for SuperSport United in the 58th minute. Denwin Famer’s failure to find the net in the penalty shootout meant that Bloem Celtic walk away 5-4 winners – a poetic justice of sorts, after defender Mbhazima Rikhotso failed to be on target after the team was awarded a penalty in 18th minute.

Another top-level clash on Sunday was Kaizer Chiefs and Golden Arrows. Chiefs hosted Arrows at FNB Stadium, and gave them a veritable diski lesson, trashing the Durban side 3-0 – courtesy of Ryan Moon (52nd minute), Bernard Parker (81st minute), and Joseph Malongoane (84th minute). Golden Arrows was just never up to the challenge – and Steve Kompela’s side walked all over them, right into the last 16 of the Nedbank Cup.



You May Like