Connect with us

South Africa

National State of Disaster extended to mid-October

Published on

Despite evidence that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases is decreasing in the country, South Africa has extended the National State of Disaster period to 15 October 2020.

President Cyril Ramaphosa first declared the National State of Disaster in the last week of March 2020, following the increase in reported COVID-19 cases in the country in the first weeks of that month.

South Africa has since announced the third extension, which “is meant to continue giving effect to the regulations that remain relevant to manage the spread of COVID-19 infections,” the government said on Thursday, 10 September 2020.

Ramaphosa’s first announcement in March came with a travel ban on foreign nationals from high-risk countries, such as Italy, Iran and China, into the country. Meeting South African National Editor’s Forum members this week, Ramaphosa hinted that there might soon be another adjustment of lockdown regulations, in response to the downward trend of new COVID-19 cases.

South Africa’s COVID-19 recovery rate has reportedly jumped to 88.9 percent, after 573 003 patients recuperated from the disease. This means that 15 265 of some 644 438 confirmed cases have been fatal.

According to Health Minister, Zweli Mkhize some 3 863 453 tests have been conducted to date, with 20 555 of them being performed in the last 24 hours. Globally, the minister said there were 27 738 179 confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 899 916 deaths reported to the UN World Health Organisation.

-APA

Trending

Copyright © 2020 Political Analysis South Africa

error: Copyrighted Content