Minister Aaron Motsoaledi has released a statement claiming that the department has identified the officials that helped the Bushiris flee the country last year.
The government took to Twitter on Thursday, 4 March 2021, to share a statement derived from the Minister of Home Affairs, Aaron Motsoaledi’s address on Wednesday, 3 March 2021. The minister answered questions during a hybrid National Assembly Q&A session.
Motsoaledi was asked to provide an update on the progress made in the repatriation of contentious religious leader, Shepherd Bushiri, and his wife, Mary Bushiri, who escaped from the hands of justice. Bushiri was implicated in a series of crimes last year, and was set to appear before court. However, after being granted bail, Bushiri and his wife fled the country and returned to Malawi.
According to the statement, “The Minister said assertions that the department does not know the identities of the officials who allegedly helped the Bushiris with fraudulent passports were not true. He once again assured that the matter was being investigated at the highest level.”
See the post below.
[Read] @HomeAffairsSA Minister, Dr Aaron Motsoaledi, says the names of the Home Affairs officials, who helped the #Bushiris with their travel documents, are known by the department https://t.co/aH6q7HS1ic pic.twitter.com/mYOOZB2O2C
— @SAgovnews (@SAgovnews) March 4, 2021