Popular South Korean boy band BTS (also known as Bangtan Boys or Bangtan Sonyeondan; Hangeul: 방탄소년단) is achieving milestone after milestone.
BTS debuted on 13 June, 2013 under Big Hit Entertainment, with the lead single ‘No More Dream’ from their first album ‘2 Cool 4 Skool’. The group has been active since then, sometimes leaving fans in awe.
For example, on Tuesday, 3 April, LG Electronics (LG) announced it will collaborated with “today’s hottest K-Pop boy band, BTS.” BTS will star in a series of TV and social media campaigns for LG.
On Wednesday, 4 April 2018, the K-pop idol group released their third official Japanese album titled ‘Face Yourself’, catching the attention of fans worldwide. ‘Face Youself’ took the top spot on the iTunes Album Chart in 45 different countries.
BTS also crowned the Billboard’s Social 50 chart on the April 7-dated list, along with EXO and NCT, who took up No. 2 and 3 respectively.
BTS shook the world with a nine-minute teaser released on Tuesday, 5 April, titled ‘Euphoria: Theme of LOVE YOURSELF: Wonder’.
However, fans are always curious about who stands behind these achievements, who are those 7 boys that stole the hearts of so many fans domestically and internationally? Below is our best attempt to profile the names behind the BTS phenomenon.
- Born on 12 September 1994.
- His real name is Kim Nam-joon (김남준). His old stage name used to be Rap Monster (랩몬스터).
- BTS leader, main rapper.
- He was born in Ilsan, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
- He is the main rapper and leader of BTS.
- On 17 March 2015, he released his first solo mixtape ‘RM’.
- His role models are Kanye West, and A$AP Rocky.
- As one of BTS’ main songwriters and music producers, RM has over 80 songs accredited to his name by the Korea Music Copyright Association.
- BTS has been around since 2010, but they debuted in 2013 because of the constant member change up. RM is the only member left from the original line up.
- Born on 4 December 1992.
- His real name is Kim Seok Jin (김석진). His stage name is Jin (진).
- BTS vocalist.
- He was born in Gwacheon, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea.
- He is the oldest member.
- His role model is T.O.P from BIGBANG.
- In 2015, he enrolled at Konkuk University in southeastern Seoul, majoring in film. He graduated in February, 2017. He is currently pursuing further studies at Hanyang Cyber University.
- He never uses wooden chopsticks — he always carries his own because he doesn’t like the smell of the wooden chopsticks.
- Born on 9 March 1993.
- His real name is Min Yoon-gi (민윤기). His stage name is Suga (슈가).
- BTS lead rapper.
- He was born in Buk-gu, Daegu, South Korea.
- His role models are Kanye West, Lupe Fiasco, Lil Wayne, and Hit Boy.
- In 2016, he released his first solo mixtape ’Agust D’.
- Suga has over 60 songs attributed to him by the Korea Music Copyright Association.
- Before his debut with BTS, he was an underground rapper in a group called D-Town (Daegu Town) and went by the stage name of GLOSS.
- Born on 18 February 1994.
- His real name is Jung Ho-seok (정호석). His stage name is J-Hope (제이홉).
- BTS main dancer, rapper.
- He was born in Gwangju, South Korea.
- He initially auditioned for JYP Entertainment, together with B.A.P’s Youngjae.
- His role models are G-dragon of BIGBANG, A$AP Rocky, J.Cole, and Beenzino.
- On 2 March 2018, J-Hope released his 1st mixtape “Hope World”, with the title track “Daydream”.
- J-Hope just made history with his mixtape “Hope World” by achieving the highestrank on Billboard 200 as a solo K-Pop artist.
- Born on 30 December 1995.
- His real name is Kim Tae-hyung (김태형). His stage name is V (뷔).
- BTS vocalist.
- He was born in Daegu, but later moved to Geochang where he spent his life until he moved to Seoul.
- His role model is his dad.
- After graduating from Korean Arts High School in 2014, V enrolled at Global Cyber University.
- V ranked 1st in the “Top 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2017”.
- Born on 13 October 1995.
- His real name is Park Ji-min (박지민). His stage name is Jimin (지민).
- BTS main dancer, lead vocalist.
- He was born in Busan, South Korea.
- Jimin was the last member to join BTS.
- His role model is Rain, Taeyang from Bigbang and Chris Brown.
- Jimin said that he would like to share the stage with BIGBANG’s Taeyang someday.
- Jimin moved to Busan High School of Arts in the modern dance department. His dance teacher suggested he audition for an entertainment company.
- Born on 1 September 1997.
- His real name is Jeon Jung-kook (전정국). His stage name is Jungkook (정국).
- BTS lead dancer, main vocalist.
- He was born in Busan, South Korea.
- He is the youngest in BTS.
- His role model is G-Dragon of BIGBANG.
- At the age of 14, he was sent to Los Angeles for dance training and was taught different styles of dance.
- Jungkook attended an audition called Superstar K in an attempt to pursue his dream of becoming a singer. However, he was eliminated before the final round. After being seen on Superstar K, he was then scouted by seven different entertainment agencies. (JYP, Cube, Big Hit Entertainment, Starship, FNC, Woolim etc…). Despite numerous offers, he decided on Big Hit Entertainment.
- He signed with Big Hit Entertainment and became a member of BTS in 8th grade and went on to debut with BTS on June 13, 2013 at the age of 15.
- Jungkook ranked 13th in the “Top 100 Most Handsome Faces of 2017”.
Have your say! What do you think?
Ramaphosa dismisses “sellout” allegations
President Cyril Ramaphosa has denied opposition claims that he worked with apartheid authorities against his “fellow comrades” in the African...
Ramaphosa clarifies Eskom restructuring
President Cyril Ramaphosa has reiterated in parliament that the restructuring of Eskom into three entities is not the path to...
Seven bodies retrieved from abandoned Mpumalanga mine
Some 20 illegal miners were trapped earlier this month, after a gas explosion took place at the abandoned mine in...
Sierra Leone adopts UN Resolution on Women’s rights
Sierra Leone’s parliament on Thursday, 14 February 2019, debated and unanimously adopted the United Nations Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace...
Buhari urges public officers to keep public trust
President Muhammadu Buhari has warned public officials, particularly those elected and appointed into office, that they must keep public trust...