The mineral resources minister says the meetings held in 2016 only focused on issues such as banking facilities and mining licences.
ANC National spokesperson, Gwede Mantashe, has told the State Capture Commission of Inquiry on Tuesday, 27 November 2018 that his organisation met twice with the Gupta-owned, Oakbay Investments.
Mantashe said mining company approached the ruling part to discuss job losses. He said that they chose to hold a second meeting because they realised that they “can’t deal with this issue from one angle.”
Mantashe read a letter addressed to the ANC from Oakbay which was a formal request for the first meeting. According to Mantashe, the Oakbay representatives present at the meeting were accompanied by company CEO, Nazeem Howa.
Issues of banking facilities, difficulty gaining access and difficulty in obtaining mining licences upon application were all discussed in the second meeting.
The current mineral resources minister also confirmed claims by four of the country’s commercial banks that the ANC called them for a meeting. In 2016, Standard Bank, Absa, Nedbank and FNB were set to close all Gupta-linked accounts.
According to the Mail & Guardian, the ANC had at the time attempted to intervene in the process by summoning the banks to Luthuli house for questioning.
Representatives from all four banks testified before the commission stating that the ANC officials asked them if they were collaborating on a plan to exclude black businesses from the economy.
However, Mantashe told the commission on Tuesday, 27 November 2018, that the banks were asked to comply with a 120 pieces of legislation.
He said ANC was too focused on dealing on the emerging issues to focus on the banks.
Mantashe is the second government official to take the stand since former GCIS CEO Mzwanele Manyi concluded his testimony earlier on Tuesday, 27 November 2018..